Friday, February 26, 2010

life

1. I've started working.  Although I probably shouldn't call it that because what I've been doing for the past week or so could hardly be considered "work." After orientation last week, my first week in the office consisted of hours of reading old Stephen King novels (courtesy of a sympathetic coworker) and doing crossword puzzles/sudoku at my desk while I anxiously awaited the arrival of my computer and phone.  Apparently the huge storm a couple weeks back made life tough for everyone in the IT department which made life tough (or easy) for me this past week.  Now, as you can see, I finally have a computer...except I don't have access to any of the drives I need to start doing work.  And so I wait.... At least now I have internet access.  I don't know if I could have taken any more sudoku (although I did get really good in a really short time).

2. I've been loving these winter Olympics.  So many great stories and drama filled moments have been interspersed throughout these past 2 weeks.  While the games got off to a rocky start, the athletes have risen to the occasion and delivered some incredibly memorable performances. A few that come to mind include Bode Miller redeeming himself with gold and silver medals after coming away empty handed  in the Torino games (deservedly so) and the Chinese couple that came out of retirement and gave up the first years of their marriage to train for pair's skating gold one more time (and it paid off!).  Oh, and I guess I can't fail to mention the domination of the Koreans in speed skating (judging incompetency aside...)

The only quibble I have with the games is that all the good competitions come on close to midnight, and I have to wake up at 5:30 every morning.  So, I either have to miss watching some events live or wake up feeling like a zombie.  Some nights, I go to bed earlier than my parents.  I feel like a grandpa.

Regardless, last night I resigned myself to this morning's impending zombie-ness so I could watch Yun-ah Kim compete in the ladies figure skating competition.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous for her after the NBC announcers hyped her up so much.  While they have their flaws, they are certainly adept at milking the drama out of every situation, especially for all the high profile skaters.  However, it was as if Yun-ah wasn't aware of the incredible pressure surrounding her, because she was crazy good.  I don't know much about the technicalities of figure skating but I do know that phrases like, "best ever" and "one of the greats" (both of which were hushedly mentioned several times after her dazzling performance) only apply when a program is, well, the best in a long time.  And to think she did that with the weight of an entire country's hopes on her 19 year old shoulders astounds me. 

So I felt incredible pride.  I was a little disappointed though, when I logged on to facebook this morning and saw that that same pride in me had evolved into downright arrogance in some fellow Koreans.  I'm fine with celebrating a great win, but verbal harassment toward her competitors (most of which was pointed toward the Japanese Mao Asada in second place) is below us I think.  I know there are cultural differences and deep-seated tensions between the two nations that run far longer than I've been on this earth and I'm not saying that a friendly rivalry between the countries is necessarily even a bad thing, but come on, are we still so obtuse as a people that we have to resort to using words like "dirty Japs" or being downright giddy when anything bad happens to a Japanese person?  Most of the people I'm referring to have little or absolutely no reason to be this crass and insensitive either.  If you're 70 year old Korean man who refuses to buy japanese cars or tv's after living through the Japanese occupation that's one thing (not saying its ok, but at least somewhat understandable), but a 17 year old high school kid who spouts hatred like that is just copying the cultural arrogance and xenophobia of their parents' generation.  Learn to think on your own.  And this is all without even mentioning the spiritual implications this has for those of us who call ourselves Christians.  There are (or have been) Japanese people who attend our church for goodness' sake.  Japan is one of the most unreached developed countries in the world.  How are we ever going to spread the love of Christ to them if we have none of our own to give? 

I know I may be blowing things out of proportion just a little and that my audience is indeed small, but I've seen careless remarks by a few people (especially of the racial kind) have huge effects in the past.  Sorry for preaching; I know I'm hardly qualified to do so, but it needed to be said.

 I guess its back to sudoku now... :)

6 comments:

  1. I was just talking with Edward last night about how these high schoolers have no place bashing on Japan. Be proud for Korea, but don't insult Asada who also trained her whole life for her shot at gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. not blowing things out of proportion. that drives me NUTS. absolutely nuts.

    also it's interesting because i was raised to root for the americans in the olympics first, then the koreans (it's my dad's thing), so i don't have the same INSANE KOREAN PRIDE that most people do about yu-na. i am proud of her, as a korean-american, but i don't think her skills validate the entirety of the republic of south korea somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i remember when your dad said he was rooting for the US in the world cup vs korea. i thought ncfc would lose some attendees after that sunday...

    like you, i think there's a fine line between wanting to see someone do well and living vicariously through them. maybe it's because koreans aren't usually in the spotlight, so when it happens to land on us every once in awhile, some people take it way overboard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen cuz! Hope you enjoy your job... not many do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. "If you're 70 year old Korean man who refuses to buy japanese cars or tv's after living through the Japanese occupation that's one thing (not saying its ok, but at least somewhat understandable), but a 17 year old high school kid who spouts hatred like that is just copying the cultural arrogance and xenophobia of their parents' generation."

    I really like what you said Daniel! well said, I completely agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. totally agree with what you said :) and please teach me. coach me. train me. i still have not finished a whole sudoku thing yet.

    ReplyDelete