Saturday, August 7, 2010

IRON CHEF

I wish we did cool things like this when I was in timothy... (watch in HD)



The vid is pretty long, but amusing.  Honestly, I was expecting inedible food from the kids, but they continue to surprise me.  Each dish was pretty tasty, which is more than I can say about some of my cooking endeavors.  Our team made the "Southwest chipotle bbq chicken burrito with coleslaw filling."  What a mouthful, literally.  Although it looked pretty plain, we ended up tying for first place (in the initial tabulation) only to lose by the judges final decision.

I was extremely proud of my group though. They were all good sports and all got their hands dirty while working as a team.  I technically couldn't help, so I was just running around, getting things from the kitchen and telling them what to do.  I felt like a stressed out mom.

A typical exchange in our corner of kitchen stadium went something like this...

me : "You! Grill the chicken!"
me: "You guys, cut the veggies!"
me: "Who took all the knives?!"
me: "HEY! Watch the chicken, its burning!!"
everyone else: (whimpering) "yes master"

As much as I was proud of the kids, I was also a little impressed with myself.  I mean this in the humblest way, becase I've never cooked anything in my life other than popcorn and microwave pizza - most of the time, burnt popcorn and still cold microwave pizza.  Maybe I should branch out now that I know I can at least make "Southwest chipotle bbq chicken burritos with coleslaw filling."

Anyone wanna take cooking lessons w/ me?

3 comments:

  1. haha i enjoyed the video. dude i remember doing a cook off while i was in timothy! except we did it during a lock-in at church

    ReplyDelete
  2. your awkward family photo nominee caption made me lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should get some cooking lessons from NL :)

    ReplyDelete