Thursday, January 14, 2010

been awhile?

i thought it had been a really long time since the last time i updated this thing, but a week and a half doesn't seem that long now that i think about it.  maybe it's just because i've been sitting on my butt doing nothing all day but watch tv and the occasional house chore for the duration of that week and a half.

but not anymore!  after interviewing with the census bureau last week, i got an official job offer today!  now comes the fun part of filling out a plethora of forms and paperwork, as well as getting a background check done (includes going to the police department to get fingerprinted), and orientation.  it was such a relief to open up the email and see a big, bold CONGRATULATIONS!! from the hr lady who sent it.  she seems like a nice person.  god bless people like her.  and all the people who have helped me along the way.  i wouldn't have even gotten the opportunity to interview had it not been for the efforts of a friend of mine from church who works there.  there are countless more, from the career counselor at U. Va. who helped me update my resume and gave me some interview pointers, to my cousin who helped me practice my handshake (not even joking), to my parents who have been ever-supportive of me this entire time and were gracious enough to let me come back home to live with them after college.  they said it was to save money.  i think it's because they like having me around.

so, the earliest i can come in for orientation is mid february (i know its far away), which means i am a free man for one month longer (free and bored).  then its 9-5:30 till i retire.  ugh, maybe i should rethink this whole "graduating from college early so i can work" nonsense.  :)

3 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! because you finally wrote an entry.
    i like your acceptance speech.
    i hope your background check is clear hehe.
    AND are you gonna move to dc?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "hr lady" -- i definitely read "hour lady" thinking hr was an abbreviation for hour, but then i was just confused bc that didn't make any sense. my brain finally started working and i realized you meant human resources (i think)!

    ReplyDelete