Sunday, January 24, 2010

restless

as much as i love not having to worry about things like class schedules and homework and online wait lists anymore, these past couple weeks have reminded me that i'm at my best when i don't have hours and hours of free time to waste.  case in point, i now know the daytime tv schedules of all the broadcast channels like the back of my hand.  i think my parents have caught on to this, because they've recently started giving me things to do while they're off at work (vacuum, pick up x-item from y-location, fix ____ , etc.).  i've also started to dig into my pile of books i got from urbana. 1 down, 6 to go.  maybe i'll finish before i start working.  

other things.  i received my diploma in the mail today.  so i guess its official, im a college grad.  it wasn't that bad of a shock though because i was already forced to come to terms with it a while back when i tried to sign into uva's online student ticketing system for basketball games and got denied :( .  that's when it really hit me.  

i also received 2 notices in the mail saying i need to start paying back student loans come july.  same message as my diploma, worse medium.

to face my new financial responsibilities head-on, i made an account on www.mint.com.  its a personal budgeting website that links to your online banking account to show you how you spend your money and give you alerts if you spend over your set budget. i felt so good about myself for taking initiative to get my finances straight, until i got a warning email telling me that as of right now, my net worth is in the red... so i need to start working pronto.  i know i'm supposed to find worth in god and identity in christ, but the realization that you are worth less than $0 to the rest of the world is still pretty humbling.  

but while this all sounds melancholy and brooding, it's amazing what an unexpected round of golf with your dad can do for one's psyche.  one nice drive and you feel like you're on top of the world.  it was a good day.


3 comments:

  1. in no time, you'll be a working man!

    it would be neat of mint.com sold mints too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can play with us at cp!! likee the driving range?! we never went! let's do it before my course load gets heavy!!

    ReplyDelete