Tuesday, July 6, 2010

fourth of july weekend

friday: I left work early and went to the driving range to hit a bucket of balls.  I hope I still have a job tomorrow. Afterward, went to chik-fil-a to try their new spicy chicken sandwich.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Usually, american fast food restaurants' version of "spicy" anything just requires adding some black pepper, but this sandwich actually made me take a few extra gulps of coke.  Bravo chik-fil-a.  You are quickly becoming my favorite fast food restaurant.

Also, on this particular friday, the chik-fil-a I went to was PACKED.  I actually had to wait for a table (which I've never had to do).  As I sat down to eat however, I noticed a commotion in the adjacent parking lot.  Turns out, the chik-fil-a I ate at holds some sort of muscle/sports car show on the first weekend of every month.  The entire lot was filled with tricked out camaros, corvettes, mustangs, and practically every other type of car from the 1960s-1970s.  Needless to say, I was thrilled.  I don't pretend to know all that much about cars (technical specs etc) but I do know they're awesome.  I think every guy is born with an innate attraction towards the shiny, loud, fast machines.  Why do you think "Transformers" did so well at the box office?

Anyway, here are some of my favorites:


Ironman's car




Mustang Shelby GT500 (modern version)




Same car, just 40 years older.  




Chevy Monte Carlo SS (my dad's old car!)




Pontiac GTO

Saturday:  I had worship practice in the morning and a VA Impact/Focus meeting at night.  Its still kind of weird thinking I'm no longer in Impact.  Focus still seems too foreign to me.  

Anyway, the bigger story is that I had to lead worship for the first time during that evening's meeting.  I think it went pretty well, except for two things.  1.  I would forget to sing at times.  I would start singing a song, then get too caught up in my guitar playing or some other distraction and my voice would trail off into mumbling.  Lucky for me, I think the group was pretty understanding.  And 2. how do people play the guitar for prolonged periods of time?  I must have only played for like 10 mins tops, but my fingers/hands were killing me by the end.  

Sunday:  Fourth of July.  I went over to CP to have a cook out (or a cook in? we ate in an apartment) and watch fireworks.  It was kind of hectic and cramped, but after two trips to the grocery store, spilling burger grease all over a kitchen counter, and almost burning the crap out of my hand (at least twice), it turned out to be a fun evening.  Who knew grilling burgers could be so easy?  Thanks George Foreman grill.

Today:  Slept late, ate junk food and watched movies all day.  The only productive thing I did was my laundry. And I finally got to watch the new "Karate Kid."  It was well worth the wait because it was awesome.  Jackie Chan still remains one of my favorite actors (even after some of his terrible movies.  "The Tuxedo" anyone?)  Also, after seeing that movie, China has definitely moved up on my "places I'd like to visit before I die" list.  The scenery looks absolutely stunning.  Now, it's right up there with Italy, Greece and the Wizarding World of Harry Potter in Orlando, FL.

Back to work tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. 1. those cars are super cool. especially the audi! <-- of course i'd say that, right?
    2. sunday was so much fun! too bad fireworks were weak. favorite was the waterfall one. it was awesome pawesome.
    3. can't believe you already watched "karate kid" O_O i haven't even had the chance to watch ts3 yetttttt. that china comment... you redeemed yourself 1/2 a point from your previous facebook status + comment on eso's status. congrats

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it chik-fil-a? if not, it should be. without the second dash it looks silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with skim. that's what i was thinking about the whole time.

    ReplyDelete