Wednesday, September 16, 2009

reset

Today, I finally got fed up with my computer's slowness so I did what I should have done a long time ago.

I wiped it clean. 

That's right, I restored factory settings.  Apparently each computer comes with a CD that allows you to do this.  Envision it as an atomic bomb for your data.  Don't worry, I moved most of the important stuff to my external HD before I let the cleansing begin.

No more old episodes of entourage.  No more adware/spyware.  No more itunes installer programs (I swear I had at least 5 of those on my HD).  No more random codecs for even randomer file types that I only had to use once.  No more weather bug.  No more unused software. The list goes on and on. 

It feels like my computer has been holding in the worst load of diarrhea for the past 4 years and I unclogged the drain.  Now, everything is lightning fast.  Before, it took literally 15 minutes to boot up the home screen (True story, I timed it).  Now, it takes less than a minute.  Before, I had to cross my fingers whenever opening large programs like itunes, because I was afraid the computer would freeze (which happened more than once).  Now it can handle multiple programs at once without a hitch. 

I'm not gonna lie, it was a little bit of a pain to reinstall my printer driver and firefox and itunes and all that, but it was worth it.  The only thing I really need to do now is get a copy of microsoft office (left my cd key at home) and I'm good to go.  Good thing the bookstore sells it for 10 bucks.  Gotta love student discounts.

4 comments:

  1. omgosh, my old lappy was SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW and the screen would flash. it was like a disco party.

    when i first read "HD" i kept thinking of high def... but then i realized you meant HARDDRIVE! makes more sense. i don't really understand all this computer talk but hey, i got the main point! computer slow - restored factory settings - BAM! LIGHTNING SPEED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15 minutes!?! That's a LONG time.
    You should try to get it fresh every year or so. It's just not worth dealing with all the slowness compared to a fresh computer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u noob. ima bless u.

    http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532

    read it through and do what you want.
    and do weekly maintenance found in the link, read through it and you'll see it.
    defrag every week. get ccleaner, jkdefrag, auslogics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahah eso called you a noob.

    also, i decided not to comment on all of your posts because all the comments would've looked the same: "hahahahhaa." so there you go.

    ReplyDelete