Tuesday, September 8, 2009

weekend

Friday - Game night with old drumline friends.  We played charades and taboo for 3 hours.  Yes, we are college students.  No, we don't care what you think.

Saturday - Watched the public humiliation that was our football team's loss to William and Mary (an FBS team).  I didn't even know they had a football team until I saw that we were scheduled to play them.  The best part of the day was the free beer and cheeseburgers I got at some girl's tailgate before the game.  Delicious.

Sunday - Went to Portico (a church) with S.  It's a medium size church, but seems like they have their act together.   I know its superficial, but I couldn't help but notice that their service has a pretty high production value.  I'm pretty sure everyone on the worship team (and doing the sound in the back) is a professional.  Also, the speaker is pretty gifted.  Held my attention for about an hour.  Props. 

After, ate at Panera and drove home.  Eating before driving is a mistake.  I almost fell asleep numerous times.  Had to stop at a Sheetz for some coffee (which I never drink).  Luckily I had my Ipod with me.  It held me over till I got home. 

Then, Frontline (at Mclean Bible Church) with F and her friend.  I can never get over the hugeness of that place.  Also, the same thing I said about production value goes for them too.  The speaker talked about Christian community. And at one point during his sermon he said "swole."  I laughed.

Monday - Whenever I come home from school, I have a day where I get destroyed by allergies, then they go away after that.  I think its my dog.  Monday was that day.  Also, it might not help that I stayed up till 3 the night before.  I'm sure lots of factors contributed to my stuffiness and misery. 

First thing I did was attempt to mow the lawn.  I got on my scrubby clothes and walked outside, only to realize it was raining.  I secretly rejoiced (and felt guilty for doing so) and went back in.  Then, I watched the tennis match between Melanie Oudin and the Russian girl (Nadia something).  It was awesome.  I have never been so into tennis in my life.  Filled with drama and tense moments, it was a pretty exhilarating match.  The spunky 17 year old  American newcomer vs. the intimidating Russian veteran.  Sounds like some cold war era propaganda story.  If you haven't heard of it already (which is impossible if you watch ESPN at all), basically the story goes like this: Young up-and-coming American girl from Georgia is known for dropping first sets then coming back to win in most of her previous matches.  She loses 6-1 in the first set.  Battles back and wins a hard-fought set #2.  Then, with her opponent reeling, strikes the final blow and demolishes her in set 3.  Youngest player to reach the quarterfinals in a Grand Slam event since Serena back in 1999, the next great hope for American tennis, the Russian killer, yadda yadda yadda.  You should have seen me, sitting there on my couch all alone in my scrubby lawn mowing clothes, watching the match with my dog, screaming at the TV, "COME ON, ONE MORE POINT!"  Even the commentators were rooting for her, saying stuff like, "For all of us with the privilege of being involved with sport, these are the moments we live for..." Made my day. 

Then, went to Tyson's with F.  Watched "Extract."  Pretty funny comedy from the writer of "Office Space."  I could definitely see the similarities between the two.  Ate at Gordon Biersch (sp?) for the first time.  Ordered their beer sampler.  Didn't finish it.  There were some pretty funky tasting ones.  Needless to say, I am not experienced enough at beer drinking to discern the fine nuances that exist between the different varieties.  Also, ordered fish and chips.  Mistake: ordering garlic on my fries.  I just burped 5 mins ago and it still tastes like garlic.  Then, browsed the mall for a bit.  Tyson's has every store imaginable inside (How many sunglasses stores does one place need? I counted at least 3).  I was winded just walking from one end to the other.  Looked at some shoes. Decided I could wait to buy them after looking at the price.  One day I will be rich enough to shop at Nordstrom.  Yesterday was not that day.

Came home and oovoo'ed with Stacey.  It was 3 of us (4 including the dog) huddled around one webcam, talking to Stacey down in blacksburg (boo hokies).  My mom was especially amazed at the webcam technology. 

"You mean we can talk to her and see her at the same time???"
"No, Mom, we just stare at each other over the internet. Of course we can do both...."

I love my Mom.

Today - woke up early.  Allergies were gone.  Ate some cereal (Kashi Go-Lean Crunch. Can't decide if I like it or not.), filled up the car and drove back here.  Remembered that food makes me sleepy and fought drowsiness the whole way back.  This time without the help of an Ipod (battery failed).  I arrived at my apartment and the first thing I did was take a nap... at 11:15 in the morning.  I woke up feeling very out of it and went to class.  It was a mistake to schedule two 1.5 hr econ classes, one right after the other.  By the time the second one rolls around, I'm so fed up with hearing about cost curves and isoquants that it basically goes in one ear and out the other.  Luckily the second class is mostly review for now.  After that, came home, worked out (shoulders and arms, aka the "glamour workout"), showered, went to jazz, played pool, ate dinner, did hw with friends, came back to apt, wrote this blog. 

Pretty hectic weekend.

4 comments:

  1. i love that you mentioned the "swole" part. did you hear the people behind us? the girl was like, "what is swole?" and the guy had to explain it to her. HAAAAAA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "you know, swole..like swolen..." i think thats what he said

    ReplyDelete
  3. my favorite part: First thing I did was attempt to mow the lawn. I got on my scrubby clothes and walked outside, only to realize it was raining. I secretly rejoiced (and felt guilty for doing so) and went back in.

    HAHAHAHA.

    i laughed.
    it was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey cuz, you know what's funny? the older i get, the more i start to appreciate the "gentleman's" sport. i.e. golf and tennis. crazy era we're living in regarding sports... jordan, tiger, federer... the all-time best at their respective sports.

    ReplyDelete